In the light of the Hon’ ble Supreme Court’s directions in SLP No. 24295 of 2006 dated 16.5.2007 & in CA No. 887 of 2009 dated 8.5.2009, the AICTE has made Regulations and issued Notification dated 1st July, 2009 thereof and accordingly the institute has to strictly adhere to these notified regulations, to root-out menace of ragging in all its forms, by prohibiting it by law, preventing its occurrence and punishing those who indulge in ragging by implementing three-tier monitoring mechanism.
What constitute Ragging ?
Any disorderly conduct by any student or students, whether by words spoken or written or by an act, which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or raise fear of apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student or asking any student to do any act which such student will not in ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student, with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing-off power, authority or superiority by a student or students over any fresher or any other student in institute.
Complaint Redressal Mechanism
Anti-Ragging Committee consists of representatives of faculty members, parents, students belonging to the fresher category as well as seniors and non-teaching staff and monitor the Anit-Ragging activities in the institute, considers the recommendations of the Anti-Ragging Squad and take appropriate decisions, including spelling out suitable punishments to those found guilty.
Anti-Ragging Squad is a smaller body and consists of representation from within the institute and its duty is to pay surprise visits to places vulnerable to the potential of ragging.
Monitoring Cell consists of students volunteering to be mentors at the end of each academic year, for freshers in the succeeding academic year.
Complaint can be lodged by observer, victim student or any staff member to the committee/squad. The person concerned can personally approach/telephone/write e-mail to any of the members of the anti-ragging committee. On receiving complaint of ragging in writing, the Director shall enquire into the matter mentioned in the complaint and if prima facie, it is found true, suspend the student who is accused of the offence and shall, immediately file First Information Report (FIR) with the police station having jurisdiction over the area in which the educational institution is situated. Anti-Ragging Committee shall take an appropriate decision with regard to punishment or otherwise, depending on the facts of incidence and nature and gravity of the incidence.
What is the punishment for the offence?
Ragging in the campus is banned and anyone found guilty of ragging and/or abetting ragging is liable to be punished appropriately. The punishment may include
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination/placement activities or other evaluation process
- Withholding results
- Debarring from representing institute in any regional, national or inter-national meet, tournament, youth festival etc.
- Cancellation of admission
- Rustication from the institute for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters
- Expulsion from the institute and consequent debarring from admission to any other institute for specified period
- Collective Punishment: When the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institute shall resort to collective punishment
Measures being taken to prevent Ragging at KBS
- Obtaining affidavit from students and parents while seeking admission re: awareness of provisions of Anti-Ragging Act
- Conducting Awareness Campaign
- Setting up of Anti-Ragging Committee & Anti-Ragging Squad
- Counseling at the time of seeking admission and monitoring by Director and other committee members from time to time
The following members are appointed for Anti-Ragging Committee & Anti Ragging Squad Members for the academic year 2018-19